How to read the Bible
Many people ask how they should approach reading the Bible. A reasonable question, considering it is actually made up of 66 individual books, but together making one cohesive story of God’s love for those He created.
Some people start at the beginning of the Old Testament and read through but that is pretty hard going. Other people start with the New Testament which focusses on Jesus and how He fulfilled his mission to reconcile all people to God. The first 4 books of the New Testament (called the Gospels) tell the story of Jesus from the different perspectives of 4 writers.
Another alternative is to search the Bible like a reference book or any piece of written text. The front section of all Gideon Bibles and Testaments contains Helps to read the Bible. There are a number of topical indexes to point the reader to what the Bible says about various topics, problems and life situations. There are also tips on how to read the Bible, how to pray and about the history of the Bible itself. If you would like to access these Help pages, you can find them HERE.
There are many benefits to reading the Bible, God’s Word, in a year. Among other gains, it unfolds the Big Picture of God’s glory and works, it nourishes the soul daily, and it helps us all to build a regular reading habit. Having a plan for daily Bible reading also adds structure and purpose to the task. The Gideons’ daily Bible reading calendar offers morning and evening readings for every day – a wonderful way to top and tail your day with the Word of God. You can read along with us by downloading the calendar as a pdf file. LINK
Gideons Bible App
The Gideons International has developed a free digital Bible App which includes the Bible, or portions thereof, in almost 1400 languages. Many of these also include audio as well as text. If English is a second language for you, the Gideons Bible App will be a great help. The Bible App also includes the Helps as found in all Gideon Bibles & New Testaments.
The Gideons Bible App can be downloaded from gideons.bible.is or by clicking here.
Know Jesus as your Saviour
Many people are looking for God. If you’re one of those people, we’d like to share with you that the Bible has what you are seeking. It contains answers to life’s vital questions, and—most important—can help you understand how to have a right relationship with God. Here are some selected verses:
God Loves You
- For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. —John 3:16
- But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. —Romans 5:8
All Are Sinners
- For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. —Romans 3:23
- As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one. —Romans 3:10
God’s Remedy for Sin
- For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. —Romans 6:23
- But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name. —John 1:12
All May Be Saved Now
- Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. —Revelation 3:20(a)
- For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. —Romans 10:13
- But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name. —John 20:31
Receive Christ as Your Saviour Now
Confessing to God that I am a sinner, and believing that the Lord Jesus Christ died for my sins on the cross and was raised for my justification, I now receive and confess Him as my personal Saviour.
Seeking a Church
After making your decision to receive Christ, we encourage you to prayerfully seek a local Bible-believing church that will assist you in growing as a new Christian. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen. —II Peter 3:18
Assurance as a Believer
That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. —Romans 10:9
Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. —John 5:24
We would love to pray for you. Our members pray daily individually and weekly as a group online or in person. If you have a specific prayer need, please complete the details below and we will pass on the information to the local Gideons in your area. They would be privileged to pray for you.